My Florida Florida Public Service Commission
Quick Search:   Advanced Search

Site Map
Interactive Site Map Close
Site Map | Site Index
Home Page > Consumer Assistance > Consumer Tips > Tip of the Week

Consumer Tip Sunday, February 27, 2005

Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program provides assistance that enables to low-income households to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. Weatherization is available to households that have income of less than 125 percent of the federal poverty guidelines , or that receive cash assistance such as Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) .

What services are provided?

Weatherization provides a number of services, all at no charge. A representative of a weatherization agency inspects the recipient’s home for energy efficiency and related health considerations. The additional services provided are those determined to be the most cost-effective in improving energy efficiency and health. This includes advice on increasing energy efficiency and on remedying any related health considerations; adding insulation; caulking and weatherstripping doors and windows; and heating and cooling modifications and, if necessary, replacements. Many weatherization agencies also administer emergency housing repair programs, also provided at no charge to recipients, that may be applied for separately or used to complement weatherization assistance.

How do I apply?

You may apply for weatherization assistance by contacting your local weatherization agency . There are about three dozen of these agencies in Florida, consisting of community action agencies, local governments and various non-profit organizations. Often, there is a waiting list for receiving weatherization assistance. Elderly and disabled applicants are given priority.

Several places that you may call to identify the agency that services your area are your local power company; your local government information number; local referral agencies such as Area Agencies on Aging, community action agencies, United Way and other counseling and referral services; and the Florida Public Service Commission’s toll-free consumer information number, 1-800-342-3552.